Skip to main content

A Bit of a Ramble (a)

Author's Note: For once, I don't really care if this is of interest to others. I have some thoughts that I'd like to record for posterity, and if they intrigue you - great! But I'm not promising coherency or succinct summaries in this entry. So proceed at your own caution.

Every once in awhile, there are glimpses of clarity where all the little moments of my life line up and add up into one big picture, and I can see that I am is not who I was. These don't happen that often, but they're incredibly encouraging, because I have hope that in twenty years, I will continue to look more like Jesus than I do today. Obviously, I'm blogging about this because I had such a moment. Actually, it was more a series of realizations over a couple of days.

Authority: just before Christmas in my 4th year, I had a "discussion" (borderline argument) with my mom that started poorly but ended with me hearing truths that I didn't really want to admit - that I don't like being told what to do, that I have difficulty submitting to authority, and that this will cause me difficulties in my life at some point. These were hard to hear, but I did hear them, and took them to heart...and while it's definitely been difficult in the past few years, I have seen change. I want to be under authority, and I want to support my leaders. It's hard to find a balance between supporting my leaders and maintaining my rather-strong need for independence (which I don't think is completely wrong), but I've seen major headway. My heart is changing, I think.

Love/Compassion/Grace: I tend to have high expectations for others. Well - I tend to impose my self expectations on them. If I can do something, others should too. Like show up on time, or keep certain words out of their language, or remember all 13 capitols (Victoria, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Quebec City, St John {update: it is Fredericton. See the comments.}, Halifax, St John's, Charlottetown, Iqaluit, Yellowknife, Whitehorse: OTTAWA). When people fail to meet my standards...that is disappointing. Especially with my Christian friends and issues of morality. But I have been asking God to teach me that I am no different, no better than those around me. And at Christmas, when faced with a massive "let-down," I wasn't angry. Well, I was - but in a righteous way. Angry for them, not at them. I was (am) deeply sad, but can honestly say that I love them. That I care for them, and that I do not hold it against them. Possibly because I realize that my own capacity for wrongdoing is not nearly as shallow as I like to pretend. Anyway, this change in my heart shocks me. In a rather pleasant way.

Comments

steph said…
looks like change can be good.
..mm, i don't have the patience to list all 50 state capitals...hahaa
Tim said…
Good stuff beth, thanks for making yourself vulnerable through your writing to give us a glimpse of what you are learning and how God's working in your heart.

Tim
Anonymous said…
Pssst...Fredericton, NB!
Beth said…
ha ha ha - i actually paused and debated that one, and then decided NOT to look it up pre-posting just to look smart. thanks for the correction.

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…

Fostering FAQ: What's Her (Mom's) Story?

This is probably the second most common question I hear about the baby currently in our care, right after, "Will you keep her?"

It comes in many forms:

"So, what's her story?"
"Is her mom in the picture?"
"How did she end up in your home?
"Is her mom a drug addict?"
"How could a mom not love such a cute baby!"

I get it. It's natural curiousity, and I know I've asked similar questions of my friends who are adoptive parents.


But here's what I'm learning: a child's story is their own. And equally as important, the parent's story is their own.

Imagine how it might feel to hear that for the foreseeable future, you are not allowed to care for your child. On top of whatever difficult circumstances you are already in - perhaps poverty, social isolation, lack of adequate housing, domestic violence, intergenerational trauma, drug or alcohol dependency, low cognitive functioning, or a myriad of other complex strug…