Skip to main content

What About Travis!?

I just watched Hope Floats, the second movie in my I-really-need-to-vegetate night. Now that we have more than three channels, there are so many quality programs on TV! Like movies in the middle of the week. I enjoyed many of the lines in this movie, including:

"I went home and told my mama you had a seizure in my mouth."
(referring to her first french-kissing experience)

"Dancing's just a conversation between two people. Talk to me."
(the conversation in our living room then went,
Girl 1: Only Harry Connick Jr. could say that line without it being incredibly cheezy.
Boy: Without it being cheezy? That's all I heard. Cheez, cheez, cheez.
Girl 2: Yeah, but it was sexy, sexy cheez...sigh.)
"Better do what she says, Travis. Grandma stuffs little dogs."

Bernice: At home we had a pet skunk. Mama used to call it Justin Matisse. Do you think that's just a coincidence? All day long she would scream, "You stink Justin Matisse!" Then one day she just picked up a club and killed it."
Justin: Now that's a sad story.
Bernice: If you liked the skunk, which we didn't...I think Mama still has that club upstairs.


Overall, a cute movie. But the one thing we found troubling was the lack of resolution for Travis. Ten minutes from the end of the movie, we see him talking on the porch with Justin (aka el guapo Harry Connick Jr.). He is questioning whether or not his aunt wants him, or whether he will one day go visit his mom in California, or what will become of him now that his grandma has died. Oops. Spoiler alert. But then that's it! We don't see him that night, when Birdee and Bernice have a heart to heart on her bed. And we certainly don't see her when Justin shows up at the photo shop (I didn't cry, Laura, but mostly due to my concern for Travis).

So what happens to him? Does anyone care? Or is he, as the boys suggested, secretly an alien? Apparently it's never too late in a movie for a sci-fi twist.

Well, thanks to IMDB, I've confirmed that I must have seen a slightly edited version - there's no way a movie that lists at 114 minutes could fit into 2 hours including commercials. And there are quotes that I never heard - and not just because I was talking, either. So perhaps there's hope for little Travis after all. (And the other loose ends that just seemed underdeveloped.)

We noted that Justin/Harry Connick Jr.'s wooing style was very much about the physical desire. Birdee would say, "No, Justin..." and he'd lean in to kiss her neck. Or "Justin, I don't..." was handled with a Shhhhhh... and a gentle caress of her shoulder. Way to be smooth, Harry Connick Jr. I don't really think he's that good looking...but he seemed to have the right moves. And lots of great lines.

Oh, and were we really wearing our pants that high in 1998? I could have sworn we knew better by then...

Comments

haemin said…
at the end of the movie, Birdee, Justin, Bernice, AND Travis are all at the county fair/carnival like one big happy family. so i guess it's assumed that Birdee adopted Travis or otherwise took him in. was that part not shown?? also has a cute line where Bernice looks all sad and mumbles, "Mama, if you marry Justin, I'm gonna be Bernice Matisse...!!" cute.
Beth said…
haemin: that line was one that made me realize i'd missed something! and no, that scene wasn't included...

also, i feel like i should know who you are, but i don't.
Laura J said…
thanks for the direct acknowledgment in this post! The scene you refer to makes me teary eyed because it's reflective of love that never gives up and that Birdee finally gives in to her true heart. That's what makes me choke up.

I have a feeling they didn't even show the whole conversation between Justin and Travis. That being said, I think it's okay for there to be unresolved situations in movies. It's a little more real to life.
Anonymous said…
Justin said to Travis right at the end, before Birdee and her Daughter had their scene, that Travis belong to them now 'Your stuck with us now buddy'. so… to me even though they didn't spell it out it basically said that Travis had a new mum and dad

Popular posts from this blog

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult or No One Wants You to Love Yourself

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult
(paraphrased from a lecture by Anne Lamott, whose priest friend shared them with her many years ago)

1. Have it all together. 2. If you don't have it all together, fix whatever is broken in you so that you do have it all together. 3. If you can't fix whatever's broken, pretend that you have. 4. If you can't pretend to be fixed, don't show up - it's a bit embarrassing to the rest of us. 5. If you do decide to show up broken, at least have the decency to be ashamed of yourself.
--
We are encultured towards self-loathing and self-avoidance. 
Be perfect. Do it all, do it right.  If you can't be better, pretend you are. Don't look any deeper. Keep busy. Keep your chin up. Keep up appearances.
It takes so much energy. It takes too much energy.
--
What would happen if I just loved myself? is the question I have been asking since my last post.
It's the question I hear when I see photos of lovely fat ladies who refuse…

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…