Skip to main content

Prince Caspian

I made it home in 20 minutes, thanks to a lot of green lights and a slightly heavy pedal foot (shhh, don't tell Mom). But it was because I wanted to sit down and put tonight on paper so I have a record to keep my memory fresh. I wish I could videotape this evening and play it back whenever I wanted, or put it in a jar and stare at when I'm sad, or make it into some sort of cuddly creature that would be exactly what I needed on a lonely night.

Where do I even start?

I guess sitting in my car in the theatre parking lot, about to turn it off when they all drive past and I honk. I pick up a snack at the gas station and meet them inside. We get our tickets and as we head to the theatre, I suggest a magazine to entertain us while we wait.

"Magazine? I've got my PSP!" says one brother.
"You do? Me too!" chimes the other.

I roll my eyes at my sister, and we link arms as she starts telling me about the conversation I missed on the way over. We laugh and joke through commercials, and I chide them to turn off their machines when the previews start. I pull out the snacks (one of which is already done by the time the movie itself starts!) and we hunker down for 2 and a half hours of goodness.

Within the first two minutes, I am in love with the movie. I immediately view it as epic, beautiful, exciting. I think one of the things that makes the movie for me is knowing that Aslan will save the day. I am so excited, because even though there are close calls, even though there is tension, I am not afraid that the ending will be tragic. (another post on the theological underpinnings of this movie could be forthcoming but will probably never materialize)

Other things I like about the movie: Peter and Caspian. And Susan and Lucy. Do I want to be Susan or Lucy? I can't decide...They both get such lovely dresses. And great heroic moments.

I like pretty much everything else about the movie too.

It only takes about four minutes before I let out an audible gasp. They laugh at me. I laugh at me too. And I laugh at myself later, when I am literally on the edge of my seat, and when I am shaking, and when I want to cry.

The last scene undoes me because it all of a sudden connects to where I'm at. Sitting in the theatre between my sister and two brothers. Things are about to change for Edmund and Susan and Peter and Lucy. But they are tight. They fight together, they have a bond that comes from shared experience and lives and love and knowing each other. And that's what I want with my siblings.

It's what I have in a non-Hollywood sort of way. I don't have any doubt that if I needed Stephen to protect me, or Jonathan to shine his torch for me, or Sarah to ride me to Aslan (or fetch Aslan for me), they would do it.

And so, as the credits started rolling, Sarah is patting me on the arm, and the boys are laughing at my near-tears, I lean back and sigh and say, "I really love you guys."

And they reply with a grin, "I don't know which was more entertaining. Watching the movie or watching you."

So here I am, downloading the soundtrack, making a record, planning to read the series again, and wishing I could hold on to nights like tonight...

Comments

MLW said…
Praise God for His blessing of family. I have tears in my eyes. So good to hear you had a special evening with your siblings.
Laura J said…
Lovely post. I also fell in love with the movie in the first few minutes. I found myself longing to have a pen and notebook to write down some of the lines. At times it felt as though God Himself was speaking directly to my heart. I think I will go and see it again.
paulman said…
Wait a second... are you and your siblings a replica of the Narnia kids?

Also, I think you should try and find time for a post on the "thelogical underpinnings" of Prince Caspian (the movie) :) I would enjoy reading it (and commenting).

I've never read the books, but I'm wondering if C.S. Lewis fleshed out the reason they immediately started attacking Telmarines and killing people, without giving the Telmarine people a chance to make peace (or dethrone their evil king, or stop serving in his guard). I mean, I could easily see myself or a family member being a faithful servant in the Telmarine guard and all of a sudden get killed by a 16 year old. I'm innocent, I tell you!

P.S. I just read a Wikipedia summary of Prince Caspian, and it is SO different from the movie!

P.P.S. I hope this comment isn't too long. Prince Caspian has been bugging me ever since I watched it, that's why I had so much to say.
Alison said…
oh beth.... i just finished reading the chronicles of narnia series for the first time ever, literally 20 minutes before i read your post. i was weeping when i finished the last page of "the last battle"! sigh.... i want to go to narnia... can't wait to watch prince caspian.

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…

Fostering FAQ: What's Her (Mom's) Story?

This is probably the second most common question I hear about the baby currently in our care, right after, "Will you keep her?"

It comes in many forms:

"So, what's her story?"
"Is her mom in the picture?"
"How did she end up in your home?
"Is her mom a drug addict?"
"How could a mom not love such a cute baby!"

I get it. It's natural curiousity, and I know I've asked similar questions of my friends who are adoptive parents.


But here's what I'm learning: a child's story is their own. And equally as important, the parent's story is their own.

Imagine how it might feel to hear that for the foreseeable future, you are not allowed to care for your child. On top of whatever difficult circumstances you are already in - perhaps poverty, social isolation, lack of adequate housing, domestic violence, intergenerational trauma, drug or alcohol dependency, low cognitive functioning, or a myriad of other complex strug…