Skip to main content

It Wasn't Itsy-Bitsy Teen-Weeny or Yellow-Polka-Dot

But it was a bikini.

Yes, that's right. I wore a bikini top at the beach yesterday.

For some people, this is a near-mortal sin. For others, it's a big fat "So what?" For me, it was both momentous and (I think) sinless.

You see, I have two major fears regarding bikinis:

(Oh, before I go further - these are a lot of girl-type thoughts. Because I'm a girl-type person. Just so you boys don't feel like it all sneaks up on you. It's coming. Now.)

1. I am afraid I will look unattractive.
2. I am afraid I will look attractive.

It's really been a lose-lose situation for me. In scenario one, all my worst fears of body image and beauty are confirmed, and it turns out that stretch-marks are a deal-breaker with my friends, or the boys I'm hanging out with see me as I am, and poof! there goes any possibility of anything.

In scenario two, I look amazing, but I know it. This goes to my head, of course, and before you know it I'm wearing a bikini everywhere. Or at least men are lusting after me, and then the guilt is on my head!

So why do it? Because I don't think those are good reasons not to wear one. I'm getting a bit tired of living my life and making decisions based on fear. Fear of my body, fear of sexuality.

It seems that, somehow, intentionally or not, I figured those two things out early on. Blame it on the media and the conservative Christian upbringing, if you will. Although I'm pretty sure you can't blame it on my mom. I don't ever remember a negative comment from her about my appearance, and I won't say much about this, but I think my parents have modeled a pretty healthy sexuality to my family. Appropriately, of course.

(Random sidestory - the first time I ever went in La Senza was with my mom and sister, in search of lingerie for my soon-to-be-married cousin. I think I was 16, and completely freaked out/uncomfortable. I told them I couldn't handle the store and would wait for them outside.)

Anyway. Yesterday. I put on my new, $5 from Superstore bikini top, a tank top and some shorts, and I walked to the beach. I found a semi-shaded spot, set down my towel, and started to read. I debated whether I would actually take off my tank top or not. Is this indecent? Am I sure I want the world to see my stomach? How do I sit up without showing rolls? What if someone whistles at me?

Then I had a little self-talk. I reiterated my earlier thoughts: This isn't about sex appeal. You're reading a book and you have your earphones in. You can choose not to notice how others respond. This is about choosing to love your body, to not hide or camouflage. This is about having the self-control not to pay attention to who's paying attention - which is something you do no matter how many layers you've got on.

So I did it. I lay down and I read, and I hardly paid attention to anyone or anything outside of me. When I was done reading, I closed my eyes and rested for awhile. Then I walked down to the water and debated wading. I didn't - too much algae/seaweed grossness. And then, after an hour that felt like 5, I put my shirt back on and walked home.

The point of the story is this: I will not live from fear, and I will not continue in dissatisfaction with who I am.

Will I wear a bikini every time I go to the beach? Definitely not. Will I wear it again? Definitely. Will I sin in both ways, hating my looks and finding pride in them? I'm pretty sure I will. But I think I'm growing, and that's the best part.

Comments

nadine said…
You and I are the same person. I don't even need to blog. I can just say, "What she said."

The bikini-at-the-beach adventure is on my list of things to do before I die.

Love you.
Meredith said…
Oh Oh Oh, this was a beautiful read. Next time we're together, we'll do something daring in our bikini tops. (I love your writing. Bring on your writing course!)
keepfishing said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult or No One Wants You to Love Yourself

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult
(paraphrased from a lecture by Anne Lamott, whose priest friend shared them with her many years ago)

1. Have it all together. 2. If you don't have it all together, fix whatever is broken in you so that you do have it all together. 3. If you can't fix whatever's broken, pretend that you have. 4. If you can't pretend to be fixed, don't show up - it's a bit embarrassing to the rest of us. 5. If you do decide to show up broken, at least have the decency to be ashamed of yourself.
--
We are encultured towards self-loathing and self-avoidance. 
Be perfect. Do it all, do it right.  If you can't be better, pretend you are. Don't look any deeper. Keep busy. Keep your chin up. Keep up appearances.
It takes so much energy. It takes too much energy.
--
What would happen if I just loved myself? is the question I have been asking since my last post.
It's the question I hear when I see photos of lovely fat ladies who refuse…