Skip to main content

I Can't Believe I'm Saying This...

...but I may have joined the hordes of girls and women who think that Zac Efron has got it going on.

I didn't mean to.

It starts out innocently enough. An offer of a free movie with a couple of friends. We go to the theatre and find out our passes are no good for 3D. So Monsters vs Aliens is out. The next reasonable showing of a movie is 17 Again - the story of a 30-something man in a midlife crisis who magically turns into his senior year self. So we get tickets.

I console myself with the knowledge that this is a movie with Matthew Perry, and since I'm on a Friends bender, that can be my motivation (Kind of like the time I watched What a Girl Wants, because Colin Firth is Amanda Bynes' father). I also fail to vocalize that Chandler is my second-least-favourite Friend, right after Monica. Honestly, I don't get their relationship. She is borderline psycho, and he cracks ridiculous jokes. How does it ever last!?

Anyway. I am having a good time, and the movie hasn't even started. We are talking. We are laughing. We are judging the trailers. We whisper to each other, Worst movie ever! just as the boy down the row says to his girlfriend, That looks great! We unanimously tear up at the trailer for My Sister's Keeper, and eventually the movie starts.

I scoff a little at Zac's opening scene. He glistens with sweat and throws three-pointer after three-pointer. It is just before the big game. We find out he is best friends with the waterboy, yet manages to be obviously & wildly popular. The cheerleaders start their routine to "Bust a Move" by Young MC. And then - what's that? Zac is dancing with the cheerleaders?

Come on.

Yet there is some sort of appeal...some sort of wholesome charm, and by the time Zac (as Mike O'Donnell being Mark Gold) delivers a passionate plea to his health class in favour of abstinence until marriage (including and generally targeted toward his daughter, who is soon to develop a crush on him) - well, by this point, I can no longer hate Zac for being amazing.


Here's the thing: I know it's not for real. He's just a guy with a great smile, vocal chords and some dance training. He's not his characters - any of them. He's not available (although gets another thumbs-up for being in a longterm relationship) and he's not even potential.


Zac, I don't have a crush on you (in case you read my blog. I know it's pretty cool). But I get why you're such a big deal. And I want for you to learn the same lesson that Mike learned - to pick the good people over the fame & fortune. Ten or twenty years down the road, don't throw it all away in search of your glory days. Having a wife and a couple of kids might not be as glamorous as High School Musical 28, but it is a good thing to have. So hang the hammock, finish the bbq pit, and by golly, don't ever kiss someone half - or twice - your age. Unless you are secretly their husband trapped in a body that has de-aged overnight.


final note. best line of the movie:
"I told you to dress like a dad...you look like Clay Aiken."
"Hey! Leave him out of this..."

Comments

Katie V. said…
I just feel the need to defend chandler! He is my number one favourite friend! Hands down! The awkwardness, the laughing, the hilarious jokes in any situation. I mean hello comedic timing. I may have a little crush on him...
Beth said…
i think ross wins for awkwardness. and while chandler's jokes are funny...that's all we see of him. he's just the funny guy.
nadine said…
I would also like to defend Chandler. He's my #1 too! Maybe you need to get to the earlier seasons in your backward-viewing before you comprehend his lovableness.

And I kinda dig Zac too. Love has no age limit for me, apparently. (If you average Efron and Perry's ages, you come up with a far more appropriate number.)
Vanessa said…
Chandler gets my vote as well.
Better to be the funny guy instead of the Italian guy who can eat a lot or the whiny dinosaur guy. :) (Mind you, I also enjoy Ross and Joey for their own unique lovableness.)

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…

Fostering FAQ: What's Her (Mom's) Story?

This is probably the second most common question I hear about the baby currently in our care, right after, "Will you keep her?"

It comes in many forms:

"So, what's her story?"
"Is her mom in the picture?"
"How did she end up in your home?
"Is her mom a drug addict?"
"How could a mom not love such a cute baby!"

I get it. It's natural curiousity, and I know I've asked similar questions of my friends who are adoptive parents.


But here's what I'm learning: a child's story is their own. And equally as important, the parent's story is their own.

Imagine how it might feel to hear that for the foreseeable future, you are not allowed to care for your child. On top of whatever difficult circumstances you are already in - perhaps poverty, social isolation, lack of adequate housing, domestic violence, intergenerational trauma, drug or alcohol dependency, low cognitive functioning, or a myriad of other complex strug…