Skip to main content

Summer is for Reading

Yesterday, I finished The Last Great Dance on Earth, the third book in a series on Josephine (and Napoleon) Bonaparte. I enjoyed it immensely, and once I was done, I felt aimless...I didn't know what to do with myself. I didn't want to watch TV. I had no friends I could call. The internet hurts my eyes after awhile. I craved more books.

It's part of my family DNA to read, and for some reason, I associate summertime with a marked increase in the number of books in our house. Probably because, lacking a TV in our home, it was how my mom made it through those long summer weeks with four children running her ragged.

I remember when I was little there was always a summer reading program through the library. I loved them, because I always knew I would far exceed the goals and be well rewarded a result. They should have programs like that for grown-ups.

I love reading in the summer time. In the backyard. In a lawnchair by the campfire. In the tent when it is raining. By the beach. In bed, late at night when it is too hot to sleep. In bed, first thing in the morning when you don't want to get up yet.


So I went to the library. I picked up three books.
The Secret Son - set in Morocco, it tells the story of a boy raised in poverty who meets his wealthy father
Ladies and Gentleman, The Bible! -
a retelling of many OT stories
The Long Dry - something about a lost cow; it's obviously British, which is why I picked it

I'm done the first, have decided to read a handful of the second, and am ready to start number three. Reading (and a quick trip to the bank) is the only thing on my agenda today. And then, it's back to the library for more.


ps - I'm accepting recommendations from any and everyone!

Comments

Justin E. Chan said…
Beth, Just finished reading the "Last Battle" by C.S. Lewis. I didn't grow up with Lewis in my collections so it was a refreshing and beautiful read. I admire his views on heaven and the elegance and sheer beauty of eternity forward! It's so refreshing to wander in my thoughts about the never ending beginnings with the greatest love.
Laura J said…
I continue to be in love with Mma Ramotswe and the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency. In love.

You should also read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck. It's set in China. A classic and very enjoyable.

Where the Heart is. Billie Letts I think.

Certain Women by Madeleine L'Engle.

A Chance to Die is a good biography I read a long time ago about Amy Carmichael who moved to India to minister to temple prostitutes. Inspiring and humbling all at the same time. She left her family and country and never went back.

That's it for now. WE should sit at the beach and read when you get back although we might just have to talk....
Karen said…
For hilarious and light reading: Free Range Chickens by Simon Rich

A book I recently enjoyed: The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose
Beth said…
justin: i read that series last summer - sooooo good! my favourite is the horse and his boy.

laura: thanks for the recommends - and the invite! how many of these books do you own? (you can be my own personal library :)

karen: duly noted! an email is coming your way soon...
~Amanda~ said…
i have been reading some great books that really apply to the personal life :)

i just finished changes that heal and ordering your private world and loved them! i am still working through the study guide in ordering your private world but am finding it to be quite revolutionary

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…

Fostering FAQ: What's Her (Mom's) Story?

This is probably the second most common question I hear about the baby currently in our care, right after, "Will you keep her?"

It comes in many forms:

"So, what's her story?"
"Is her mom in the picture?"
"How did she end up in your home?
"Is her mom a drug addict?"
"How could a mom not love such a cute baby!"

I get it. It's natural curiousity, and I know I've asked similar questions of my friends who are adoptive parents.


But here's what I'm learning: a child's story is their own. And equally as important, the parent's story is their own.

Imagine how it might feel to hear that for the foreseeable future, you are not allowed to care for your child. On top of whatever difficult circumstances you are already in - perhaps poverty, social isolation, lack of adequate housing, domestic violence, intergenerational trauma, drug or alcohol dependency, low cognitive functioning, or a myriad of other complex strug…