Skip to main content

Friday's Vari-e-tay: 2009 Movies

I know it's a new year, and I am just coming back from a big conference and haven't blogged since Christmas...BUT let's start with the important things, which in this case is an old draft that came to mind when I had the chance to watch Adam on my flight back to Vancouver.

Movies from '09 That I Want to See:

It's Complicated
The Princess and the Frog
The Blind Side
Up
Did You Hear About the Morgans?
Invictus
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Up in the Air
The Informant
Where the Wild Things Are
Whip It
Star Trek
Up!
Precious
A Single Man


You may read this list and ask, Beth, what have you been doing all year? These are ALL the good movies of this year (except (500) Days of Summer).

Which is mostly true. (500) Days of Summer is the only good movie I remember seeing in the theatre this year. Wait. Make that last year!

Then on today's flight, I watched Adam. And I quite liked it for the following reasons:

  1. it is about a girl named Beth
  2. Beth loves The Little Prince
  3. Beth loves the night sky
  4. Beth wants to be a writer
  5. the soundtrack includes music by The Weepies and is wonderful
  6. it is about a man with Asperger's Syndrome
  7. it has Peter Gallagher & Hugh Dancy in it
  8. it is thoughtful
  9. it is not a fairy tale

(For some reason, I often cry during plane-movies. My theory is that it is because I am usually already tired, and feeling the emotions of having to say goodbye to one great group of people or another. A heartfelt movie is all it takes to get a little tear. And then, if the movie is over and I can't quite sleep, one tear sometimes turns into more.)

Comments

Nadine said…
I knew I would love Adam. Your list just confirmed it.

P.S. Have you seen District 9? One of 2009's best.

P.P.S. I could use a movie date next week. *Hint* :)
Beth said…
YES! What movie? Friday night late show?

(speaking of late Friday nights...isn't it 1am for you?)
keepfishing said…
I watched Adam on the flight back from Kenya too! Except the flight ended before the movie. So we need to talk so you can tell me the ending!!

Haven't decided if i like it or not yet though..
Nadine said…
Yes to the Friday late show. Maybe "Up in the Air"? I REALLY wanna see that one. But I'm flexible :)

Yes, it was late. And now it's 6:30 am. Zero sleep last night. Zero. My body is broken.
francy said…
I haven't seen Adam, but I want to. I also missed out on The Road ...

From your list, I'll confirm that you need to see Where the Wild Things Are, Whip It and Up in the Air. (Of which I just posted a review.)

If we share a similar sense of humour at all, also try to rent "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" as soon as you can. I liked it more than UP, but nobody agrees with me.

Have fun on your movie date with Nadine! You girls have all the fun!

Popular posts from this blog

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult or No One Wants You to Love Yourself

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult
(paraphrased from a lecture by Anne Lamott, whose priest friend shared them with her many years ago)

1. Have it all together. 2. If you don't have it all together, fix whatever is broken in you so that you do have it all together. 3. If you can't fix whatever's broken, pretend that you have. 4. If you can't pretend to be fixed, don't show up - it's a bit embarrassing to the rest of us. 5. If you do decide to show up broken, at least have the decency to be ashamed of yourself.
--
We are encultured towards self-loathing and self-avoidance. 
Be perfect. Do it all, do it right.  If you can't be better, pretend you are. Don't look any deeper. Keep busy. Keep your chin up. Keep up appearances.
It takes so much energy. It takes too much energy.
--
What would happen if I just loved myself? is the question I have been asking since my last post.
It's the question I hear when I see photos of lovely fat ladies who refuse…

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…