Skip to main content

Two'sday: Exciting Things Happen After Midnight

Normally, I go to bed earlier than this. But I'm on my holidays, so I'm sitting in bed catching up on the articles quickly backing up my Google reader. Tonight, two very different things happen.


1. I discover this article from Esquire (yes, I subscribe to their site). Last month, I listened to an audio version of True Story by Michael Finkel. The book outlines his "friendship" with Christian Longo, a man eventually convicted of killing his wife and three children, and tells the story of Longo's arrest & trial. It is a fascinating and complex story. My roommate Lynsey and I were so fully absorbed in listening to it while driving across Vancouver Island that we let ourselves drive right into near-blizzard conditions. (Actually a funny story, knowing we survived.) But this was too intense and disturbing for pitch-black driving on a wintry night, so we turned it off and waited until we were safely out of the mountains before finding out the jury's sentence.

Finding this article has sucked me right back in. It's disturbing, but if you're able to handle it, it is a fascinating read. The voice I hear while reading it is Michael Finkel's, the voice I listened to for hours as he narrated the CD version of his book. And I'm left with a question; if it saves your life, why wouldn't someone take an organ donated by an inmate?




2. The phone rings. When the phone rings at 12:15am, you answer it. And you expect bad news. So when I hear my brother-in-law Lalo ask for his wife, my sister who is asleep upstairs, I can't help but panic. I ask if he is okay. He says, "Something happened," and I can hear him crying.

I stumble up the stairs in the dark. I haven't lived in this house really, so I don't know where to feel for the light switches. I say to him, "I'm getting Sarah - hold on," and stretch out my hand to find the way to her room.

No one else is up.

I open the door and wake her, passing the phone off by moonlight, I turn the light on as I leave. I wait in the hall and pray while she speaks Spanish softly. My heart is pounding, wondering what else could happen. It's been fifteen months that they've been living in separate countries, waiting to be reunited for longer than a week or two. In June, when she was able to visit the States for a month, Lalo's 25 year-old cousin was found dead of a heart attack when his mom went to wake him up for dinner. Another death? I wonder.

Then she comes outside. She is smiling, and still on the phone.

"He's been approved! He's coming!"

I hug her tightly, smile and return to my room. She comes down in a few minutes, still shaking. Lalo is to send his passport in within 2 months to receive his visa, and his passport needs to be good for at least one year. They are going on a holiday in early January, and his visa expires at the end of January 2011. He has until the end of April to move to Canada. Sarah's birthday is on April 28th, and their second anniversary the end of May.

Perfect timing.

Comments

Nadine said…
I am SOOO excited for your sister! I almost cried. A happy cry.
Mindy said…
Beautiful. God is good :)

Popular posts from this blog

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult or No One Wants You to Love Yourself

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult
(paraphrased from a lecture by Anne Lamott, whose priest friend shared them with her many years ago)

1. Have it all together. 2. If you don't have it all together, fix whatever is broken in you so that you do have it all together. 3. If you can't fix whatever's broken, pretend that you have. 4. If you can't pretend to be fixed, don't show up - it's a bit embarrassing to the rest of us. 5. If you do decide to show up broken, at least have the decency to be ashamed of yourself.
--
We are encultured towards self-loathing and self-avoidance. 
Be perfect. Do it all, do it right.  If you can't be better, pretend you are. Don't look any deeper. Keep busy. Keep your chin up. Keep up appearances.
It takes so much energy. It takes too much energy.
--
What would happen if I just loved myself? is the question I have been asking since my last post.
It's the question I hear when I see photos of lovely fat ladies who refuse…

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…