Skip to main content

Toes. And Nails.


I’m anxiously anticipating the loss of a toenail, and it is making me nostalgic.

A year and a half ago (where does that time go), Kirsten and I spent three weeks walking across northern Spain. Most of you know this. Most of you also know that Kirsten was plagued by foot troubles. Intense blisters that doubled the size of her pinky toe, a strange and inexplicably fiery rash, and then a blister UNDERNEATH her toenail.

I was sympathetic. Deeply sympathetic; in contrast, I merely broke/sprained one toe, in a non-hiking accident one rainy evening. Taped to its neighbouring toe and with solid shoe support, I wasn’t so badly off.
We persevered, of course. Kirsten’s endless will and pain tolerance amazed me, we laughed often, we cried (only a little), and we ate a lot of lemon yogurt.

A few weeks after we returned home, she told me that her toenail was gone. It was sad and gross to hear. I had seen her feet at their worst, but I was relieved not to see a nail-less toe. It is a weird thought to me.

A very weird thought. Which brings us back to today:

On Sunday night, an aggressive soccer striker (whom I proudly and effectively defended against during our first shut-out of the season) landed on my foot early in the game.

It hurt. Like the dickens. BUT we were without girl subs, and if I left the field, we would be at a one-man disadvantage…hardly an ideal situation in our last pre-playoff game. Plus, the adrenaline! It’s easy (though maybe not wise) to play through most injuries.

I was sure my foot would be bloody when I took off my shoe, but no! Just a throbbing, pounding toe and the hint of a bruise under my polished nail (hooray for the Christmas pedicure).

Three days later, I am walking normally again, but the toenail is an ominous purple, and heaven forbid I should let anything touch the top of my foot! It was recommended that I ice the nail and/or drill a hole to relieve the pressure.

DRILL A HOLE. IN MY TOENAIL. Not gonna happen, thankyouverymuch.

Some of my more athletic friends seem to view the losing of a toenail as a rite of passage into the world of the “true athlete.” I’m not sure I want to be in this world after all.

Have any of you lost a toenail before? How gross is it, really? Will it last forever?

Comments

  1. From your picture on twitter, I would say that there is a chance you might not loose your nail. Just saying. Trust the pain is or has subsided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MLW. That is heartening - although I must say, the pic didn't accurately show the purpleness of the nail... Pain is much less. Just a dull throbbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah3:52 PM

    I think it was Stephen who had holes punched in a fingernail as a child to relieve pressure from an injury. Ask him about it if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I remember this - maybe not punched, but drilled or poked?

    I think my toe is okay, drill-wise...the pain is not unbearable. Just a kind of irritating throb. Sooooo, we'll stick it out for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewwww...to just about all of it...

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st