Skip to main content

Feeling, Accomplished.

The last few years of my life have been full of feelings.
ALL THE FEELINGS.

Scratch that - my whole life has been full of feelings. All of them. Deep feelings. But the last few years have been full of accepting and acknowledging my feelings, which is a fairly significant shift from my previous framework. 

I have long been uncomfortable with strong emotions. I didn't know what to do with them, or what purpose they serve. In my mind, feelings were an annoying interference with the rational and far more valued rational processes of the brain (this is a slight generalization, but not much).

While I could usually identify how I felt, I didn't always understand why it was important to figure that out, or what good could come of telling another person the emotions I was experiencing, especially if they were "negative" or difficult feelings.

It is not that I believed my feelings were irrelevant, but that they were subservient to my logic and my will.

If I felt disappointed that a friend hadn't called me as promised, I would think, "I know she didn't intend to hurt me, so I ought not feel upset."  And I would try to bring my feelings in line with my logic, by the pure power of my will.

OR once I identified a feeling, I would tell myself it was time to move on now. "You've named it. Acknowledged it. Now you're done."

It rarely worked well.

And then, eventually, with the help of wise friends and outside input, I started to believe that emotions are not tasks to be accomplished. I cannot simply identify a feeling and expect that will end my experience of it. I no longer believe that emotions are second-class citizens in this body of mine.

Emotions are an important and inevitable part of the human experience. Identifying them is important. Sharing them (appropriately) helps breed intimacy and trust. And working through them is made easier when you stop pretending they aren't there.
from postsecret.com, a long time ago.

It is okay to be afraid.
Anxiety is not unacceptable.
Sadness is a healthy response to many things.
Anger helps us identify the things we value.


I no longer view my emotions as items to be checked off of a list (Sadness? Accomplished! On to the next one!). Life is messier now, and sometimes more difficult than when my primary relationship with my feelings was one of control and "mastery."

But you know what? It is better. I am better.  My friendships are healthier, and deeper. I know my own self in a way I couldn't before.

Here's how I feel about all of this: Encouraged. Hopeful. Grateful, and Happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st