Skip to main content

Magical Movies

Back in 2006, two movies came out. (Okay, a lot more than two movies came out. But I'm only looking at two of them today.)

The Prestige


and The Illusionist.



I remember watching The Prestige and loving it. Four years later, I've finally watched The Illusionist. Also loved it (thank you, Jonathan for a great Christmas gift two years ago!). They're surprisingly similar for movies that came out within two months of each other:

  • Period pieces set in 19th century Europe.
  • Magicians are the main characters.
  • Women complicate things. (Two actresses I wish were classier, for the record.*)
  • Illusions are amazing and stupefying.
  • Plot twists abound.

I'm not sure what it is that sucked me in to both flicks. Perhaps the lovely costumes. Perhaps the thrill of illusions and wondering how it all works. Perhaps because the stories aren't as easy to predict as most. I like having to try.


I'm ill-qualified to review either movies with any more critical thought than this...and feel like I'm not thinking with my best brain-power either (I blame this lingering malaise).

But I will comment that Amelia is one of my favourite friends to watch movies with, because she is so agreeable when it comes to my random remarks and commentary.

THAT is a lovely dress.
- Yup.

That scene? Entirely so that we'll like Eisenheim. So when he gets in trouble, we want him to win.
- Hm. I can see that. He IS a good man.
That's what they want us to think!

You know, I've never found a goatee so attractive before.
- Yeah, it does look good.
(we admire Edward Norton's facial hair for a moment)

You know, she's quite beautiful.
- Yup. Makes me feel great...
(we admire Jessica Biel's perfection for a moment)
(why are we girls like this?)


Ooh, she's wearing pants!
- She's very democratic, remember?

Amelia hates magic because she knows that it's a trick. I like magic for that very reason. I find it fascinating (and sometimes creepy) that we can be deceived so thoroughly. To get really deep for just a moment, how do we know can we trust our experiences?

I think too much.

I need to end this ramble somewhere, so I will ask two questions.
1. If you've seen both movies, which do you like better? Why?
2. What are your thoughts on magic/illusion - like/dislike? Are magicians charlatans or masters of a craft?


*I think what makes me less than enthused about Jessica Biel and Scarlett Johansson is that they both seem happy with their status and reputations as sex symbols...my thoughts on which could easily turn into another entry altogether. Perhaps someday soon.

Comments

J.r. Fisher said…
First off for any who haven't seen either. . . .

**SPOILER ALERT**

I personally enjoyed the Illusionist better. Alot fewer of the minor illusions are revealed, and the ones that are, are merely illusions, and nothing more, as well the the major plot involves one massive trick, an illusion of mind blowing proportins.

The Prestige on the other hand (if I recall correctly, it's been a while since I've watched it) revealed many of their minor illusions, and their major illusions turned out to be, (at least on one side) actual supernatural, un-realistic feats.

The Illusionist seemed much more believeable and real, yet still maintaing some level of mysticism and un-revealed trickery, making it my personal favorite. That being said, The Prestige was also a great movie, had me on the edge of my seat, I just think The Illusionist was better.

Popular posts from this blog

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult or No One Wants You to Love Yourself

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult
(paraphrased from a lecture by Anne Lamott, whose priest friend shared them with her many years ago)

1. Have it all together. 2. If you don't have it all together, fix whatever is broken in you so that you do have it all together. 3. If you can't fix whatever's broken, pretend that you have. 4. If you can't pretend to be fixed, don't show up - it's a bit embarrassing to the rest of us. 5. If you do decide to show up broken, at least have the decency to be ashamed of yourself.
--
We are encultured towards self-loathing and self-avoidance. 
Be perfect. Do it all, do it right.  If you can't be better, pretend you are. Don't look any deeper. Keep busy. Keep your chin up. Keep up appearances.
It takes so much energy. It takes too much energy.
--
What would happen if I just loved myself? is the question I have been asking since my last post.
It's the question I hear when I see photos of lovely fat ladies who refuse…

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…