Skip to main content

26 Secrets: Music & Absent Friends

I was going to post Saturday's entire playlist, because that is not at all my "work" and is very much open for sharing...but even though I tried to cut it down, it was still 86 songs long. Which would be a very long entry. I'll happily share it with anyone who really wants to know the whole deal, but for this morning, I'd like to highlight some of the artists I included because they remind me of faraway friends.


Chromeo - KIRSTEN! Thank you for calling. Can't wait to see you and hug you and sit in silence with you this summer. (Hurry up, time!)

Franz Ferdinand - Karen, do you even know I associate you with this crew? You introduced us. Also, you are my first ever "arts patron" and there will be an 8x10 photo coming your way later this month.

Shout Out Louds, Boris Smile - Alasdair, you have great taste in music. And I still think you should have chosen Canada as your vacation destination last week.

Headwater - Laura. Of course. I can't wait to trade Christmas break stories - India! So exciting.

Guster - Mav. I feel like we would have long conversations out of all this writing.

Hanson - Nadine, you were sorely missed. I am SO HAPPY that you're coming back to our home today.

Passion Pit - AmyLee (it's always one word in my brain), I love seeing art with you; seeing my art with you would have been phenomenal.

Andrew Marcus - Jackie. Oh, Jackie! Thank you for calling in the midst of your own crazily exciting weekend. I am so proud of you.


(Just to clarify, I chose the artists for my friends, the specific songs for other reasons.)

addendum:

how did I forget!?!?

Mutemath - DRay. You are like a big brother, and I wanted you to be there and be proud of me. Remember the time we went on a photo adventure to try taking shots of the massive harvest moon?

Comments

  1. oh beth! Even though I wasn't present in person I was definitely there in spirit and prayer. I will always remember you calling me and telling me you'd seen these guys on the ferry. Giddy girl! Fun times! Thanks for choosing them to represent me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! that is the exact memory i associate them with :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth! How warm I feel to be included in music at 26 Secrets. Not getting to experience your show was one of January's disappointments. Franz Ferdinand is inextricably tied to that summer in Edmonton for me--so much so that I never purchased their second album (and probably wouldn't recognize the songs). Can't wait to see the print! Sooooo pumped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen - i totally understand! i have an album like that from the same summer...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st