Skip to main content

Movie Review: Alice in Wonderland

I often hesitate to write movie reviews here, as I am not always known for my great movie taste. But I like what I like, and I guess there's nothing wrong with that...

This past weekend, I really liked Alice in Wonderland.

This surprised me, for three reasons:
a) it is a novel adaptation, and I'm usually snobbish about these things. Especially classics.
b) I saw it in 3D. I haven't seen a lot of 3D movies, and maybe I've only seen crappy 3D movies, but I was hesitant.
c) sometimes Tim Burton is a little much for me. But this wasn't.


But I would go see it again. My three favourite things:
a) the adventure. It was a legit adventure starring a girl. For how far we've come in the last century, there is still a lot lacking in girl-adventures.
b) the deeper meaning. I'm still figuring it out (I have been thinking about too many things these days), but I know there are parallels and allegories and lessons to be learned.
c) the costumes. I loved loved loved Alice's dresses. And the set design, and everyone else's dresses. But especially Alice's. (I've never been jealous of armour before.) Another great ensemble:

Now I must admit, there were a couple things that didn't quite thrill me. Three, in fact.
a) Anne Hathaway should never ever ever be blonde. And she should never be told to keep her hands above her waist at all times.
b) I couldn't quite place Johnny Depp's accent. As the Mad Hatter, he had definite Scottish moments, and then some sort of vague upper-class English thing going on. It drove me a little batty.
c) The ending was a bit...too quick? Too predictable? I'm not sure. Maybe they're leaving the door open for further Alice Adventures. Maybe they know how much everyone loves Charlotte Doyle and they're going to capitalize on that for the next movie. Okay, no one knows who Charlotte Doyle is, I bet.

But now that I think about it, it would make a great movie too.

Comments

shellieos said…
LOVED Charlotte Doyle, and yes it wouldst make a great movie. If done well.
Rhianna said…
SO being a HUGE Tim Burton fan I would have to say here that the film was lacking a certain Burton-y creepiness, if you don't like Burton you will be okay. If you love Burton I suspect a certain amount of disappointment... Besides that and Anne Hathaway's arms it was definitely entertaining!
Nadine said…
As you know, I go to a church at a movie theater. On Sunday, a little girl in an Alice costume (the Disney Alice) walked by me. Made my day.
Shanny said…
Just thought I'd tell you I like reading your blog. It's always interesting and different. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Aimee said…
Another Charlotte Doyle fan right here, friend...big time :) Wanted to be her. Wanted a dirk. Wanted to read this book over and over again...

FYI: It's rumored to be "tied up" right now, but keep an eye out: http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=46941
Beth said…
shelly: woooot! (see aimee's comment)

rhianna: i can understand that. and i think you're bang on about the arms :)

nadine: apparently disney is making a line of clothing after this movie's costumes...i'd almost buy them.

shann: thanks!

aimee: for REALZ!? and with pierce brosnan. um, i'm there. anytime.
shellieos said…
since when did Danny Devito direct? And I would DEFINITELY buy the Alice clothes...if made well.

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…

What About Travis!?

I just watched Hope Floats, the second movie in my I-really-need-to-vegetate night. Now that we have more than three channels, there are so many quality programs on TV! Like movies in the middle of the week. I enjoyed many of the lines in this movie, including:

"I went home and told my mama you had a seizure in my mouth."
(referring to her first french-kissing experience)

"Dancing's just a conversation between two people. Talk to me."
(the conversation in our living room then went,
Girl 1: Only Harry Connick Jr. could say that line without it being incredibly cheezy.
Boy: Without it being cheezy? That's all I heard. Cheez, cheez, cheez.
Girl 2: Yeah, but it was sexy, sexy cheez...sigh.)
"Better do what she says, Travis. Grandma stuffs little dogs."

Bernice: At home we had a pet skunk. Mama used to call it Justin Matisse. Do you think that's just a coincidence? All day long she would scream, "You stink Justin Matisse!" Then one day she just…