I have compiled a list of helpful ways to get yourself out of that self-focused rut we all fall into on occasion. Tried and tested by yours truly.
- Clean the house. Take out all those negative emotions on the floor, the bathroom, and the stack of dirty dishes. Then look at them sparkle and be glad again. I recommend listening to upbeat music.
- Ask someone how their day was - not so they'll return the favour and you can rant about your crappy life, but to genuinely listen to somebody else.
- Choose a person and bless them. Give something away, bake cookies, find someone on the street and give them a $5 bill.
- Go to the gym. Kind of like cleaning the house, except no shiny floors. Just sweat and some killer tunes dancing around your head.
- Watch a WWII movie. Or any genocide-based movie. All of a sudden, your life seems like a bed of roses. No one is killing your entire people group.
- Remind yourself of this verse, then do it. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." (Philippians 4:10)