Skip to main content

The Rest of Cuba: AVOID DAZZLE!!

(When driving in Cuba, it is important that you Avoid dazzle.)


There isn't a whole lot more to say about my vacation. 70% of my waking hours were spent reading or lying with a book not open and listening to the waves. The other 30% contained these moments:

  • Nightly games of Scrabble. Usually on our balcony. We're kind of like a nerdy old couple, but we embrace our inner nerd with much joy.
  • Fighting the current to ride the waves. A great resistance workout, with the added bonus of floating your way back to shore.
  • Bread. Sweet bread. Cuban food isn't great. But dang, do they do their bread well. It was the highlight of every meal for me.
  • Daytrip into Havana with our rented car and new British friends. Adventure and laughter, sweat and sightseeing. No disasters.
  • Movies on HBO and CTV Edmonton news. From 9-11pm, we knew we'd watch something entertaining, if awful. And for some strange reason, Cuba has decided that Edmonton is the best locale from which to sample Canadian television...
  • People-watching. Oh, the things that you see! I might write an entire entry on the tattoos that I saw and how my desire for one has decreased as a result.
I have put a couple more photos up on my flickr stream, although I'm not really thrilled with them. I just took my point & shoot, and I'm increasingly dissatisfied with it. I want a Canon that fits in my pocket, so sleek and sweet...

Also, top 4 industries in Cuba. See if you can arrange them in the appropriate order:
  • Tobacco/Alcohol exports
  • Medical services (ie, foreigners who come to Cuba for medical purposes)
  • Tourism
  • Mining

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult or No One Wants You to Love Yourself

5 Rules for Being a (North) American Adult
(paraphrased from a lecture by Anne Lamott, whose priest friend shared them with her many years ago)

1. Have it all together. 2. If you don't have it all together, fix whatever is broken in you so that you do have it all together. 3. If you can't fix whatever's broken, pretend that you have. 4. If you can't pretend to be fixed, don't show up - it's a bit embarrassing to the rest of us. 5. If you do decide to show up broken, at least have the decency to be ashamed of yourself.
--
We are encultured towards self-loathing and self-avoidance. 
Be perfect. Do it all, do it right.  If you can't be better, pretend you are. Don't look any deeper. Keep busy. Keep your chin up. Keep up appearances.
It takes so much energy. It takes too much energy.
--
What would happen if I just loved myself? is the question I have been asking since my last post.
It's the question I hear when I see photos of lovely fat ladies who refuse…

Fostering FAQ: How Can You Say Goodbye?

It seems I finally have something(s) to say... Here's the first in a short (or maybe long?) series on Fostering FAQs. If you've got a question to add, feel free to comment/email/text/message me and maybe the next post will be in response.

--

8:30 am on Day 4 of parenting. I woke up in a panic two hours ago because I remembered that there is a baby and I am responsible for her (at least at 6:30am, when the man beside me will snore through anything). Now, I have put on clothes and eaten breakfast. The dogs are walked, there is a loaf of banana bread in the oven. My tea is steeping. Most importantly, Dream Baby is already down for her first nap.

Despite my morning efficiency, I'm already beginning to see that even with the happiest, most easygoing, and smiliest baby, like we somehow managed to be given, parenting is a grind. On Friday night, I couldn't join friends for $5 pints at a local joint. Instead, I blearily washed the same 8 bottles again, and then made another ba…

Fostering FAQ: How Long Will She Stay/Will You Adopt Her?

Our first foster baby came with about 18 hours notice; it was respite care, which means we had him for a few days while his regular foster family had a break/dealt with a family emergency. He stayed 3 nights, long enough to come to church and have a dozen people cooing over his little sleeping cheeks.  With each new visitor to our quiet corner, I explained again that he would be going back to his foster family the next day.

Barely a week later, we got a 9am phone call with a fostering request and by the same afternoon, we were snuggling her. This time, we had her for 4 days before church came around. Again, our community was keen to see the little one we had in tow. Again, the question, "How long will she stay?" And this time, "Are you going to adopt her?"

--

Here in Toronto, when a child is placed in foster care, it is always for an indefinite length of time. It depends on the parents' situation, and whether they are able to make a safe home environment for th…