Skip to main content

A Weekend Full of Good Drinks & Better People

Friday:

Nap to prep for the big concert.

Decide I hate everything in my closet. Borrow clothes from Nadine.

Hanson (will receive its own post in due course).


Saturday:

Coffee #1* – fun. Just good to sit and chat about life.

Coffee #2 – next door to the bridesmaid dress store. Wedding chatting with Nadine, then dress pick-up…except mine, due to an armpit tear. Felt a bit sad, as I was SO excited to try on my adorable ensemble and help start the hunt for accessories.

Shower.

Drive to Mississauga. Go slowly on the highway because there is finally a bit of winter.

Coffee #3 (planned during Coffee #2) – new friend. Talked about life and relationships and Jesus and music and how she’s rocking a partially-shaved head and that I miss my nose piercing.

Drive to Guelph. Sing loudly en route. Squint through a very dirty windshield.

Coffee #4 – mostly talked about shoes. Strange, with this friend, except that actually we were shoe shopping. I hope she bought some after I left for

Supper – good times. Artsy lovely friend. We decided we would like to take British slang and introduce them to Canadian culture – but with inverted meanings. Example: “I’m totally chuffed about yesterday’s test.” Does it mean “happy and satisfied” or “angry and annoyed”? Depends what country you’re in.

Swing by my parents. Open a small box discovered in a safety deposit box, from my grandma (who passed away 3.5 years ago). For some reason, the smattering of coins inside is deeply touching to me.

Drive to Waterdown. Sing some more. No need to squint in the dark.

Talk for hours with people who’ve known me since I was a wee child.

Sleep in a bright green room.


Sunday:

Small talk with teenagers who vaguely know who I am. They’re lovely and funny. Meet the newest family member, an adorable bundle of energy who was born in Oofoo-oofoo-ba. Or, as grown-ups say, Ethiopia.

Church with the family. See some folks I’ve not seen in a long while/didn’t expect to see. Make plans to catch-up. Lots of thoughts about church and community that I don’t have time to process.

Lunch with the family. And my sister & brother-in-law. That’s right, in that strange sister way, we both made plans to visit a family we’ve not seen in over two years. On the same weekend. Without discussing. Much laughter and delicious food at the table.

Drive to Toronto. Get windshield fluid. Sing loudly.

Aloo Gobi with Karen. And a chocolate chai cupcake. Tummy food and soul food as we talk about real life.

Drive home.

Grammy-watching with Nadine & Matt.

Sleep.



*none of these coffee dates involved actual coffee. Thankfully.

Comments

  1. That sounds like such a lovely weekend. I wish I could have been coffee #5. :)
    Also today? I learned a new British slang.
    You know how we call hippies/save-the-world types "granola"? Well they call them The Lentil Brigade.
    I laughed so hard. LOVE it.
    xo
    talk on Sunday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for Sunday! And I am TOTALLY going to sign up for the Lentil Brigade.

    (ironically, I am incapable of cooking with lentils. nothing ever turns out...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve C9:21 PM

    Always a pleasure to have you join us! I don't think we even offered you any Ethiopian Coffee. Ooops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, I have to admit, I am not much of a coffee drinker. But I am continually open to being converted. And maybe Ethiopian coffee will do the trick!

    Next time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro