Skip to main content

Mondays Mean More: This Year's Theme

I'm not great with resolutions or goal-setting. It stresses me out because I get overly focused on the task at hand and beat myself up if/when I don't accomplish it. I've been this way for a long time - I've got a list from an old journal entitled "Things I want to be." The last item on the list of fifteen adjectives is PERFECT. I still remember writing the list and wishing that I was essentially a different person than I am.

To over-compensate, as an adult I set goals that are so low and easy to reach that they're pretty much non-goals. Which may be less helpful than having too many impossible goals. But I think I'm finally finding my middle ground. Instead of goals or resolutions (although I do both of those in small ways, like when I decided to join a gym or go six weeks without using the word "busy"), I mark my years with themes.

For 2008-2009, the theme that I would say dominated my life was rest. I learned (and applied) a lot about the reality of God as a God of rest, the vital need for rest as a part of a well-balanced life, and what it means/looks like to have a heart that is truly at rest.

And then, in the fall, I felt the winds of change begin to blow. I read some books. I had a lot of conversations, and in my heart, I landed on the theme for the next part of my life.

Risk.

I'm not a chance-taker, by nature. I'm a pragmatist. I like guaranteed outcomes. I dislike failure.

BUT life is not guaranteed. Things won't always be easy. And if I never fail, I never learn. Or at least, I learn a lot less.

PLUS my resistance to risk means that I'm missing out on some experiential knowledge of God as a God who is trustworthy and capable and good to His promises.

So I've been thinking a lot about risks and getting ready to take some (in a calculated and slow sort of way). And I'd love to hear from all of you:

W
hat are risks you've taken that played out well?
What are lessons you've learned from trying and failing?
What's one thing you dream of taking a risk on?



Final thought: if you type "risk" into Youtube, this is your top hit:

Comments

  1. Last year, I scribbled down: "Be up for the adventure. Laugh a lot. Love without abandon. Take risks. Write it down."

    And so I did. I quit my job with no real plan, just a sense of urgency: now or never. And I started to follow a still-not-completely-defined dream.

    I've learned that moving forward is what matters. (Even if it's falling forward.) And that being completely NON-self-sufficient is a beautiful freeing thing.

    I've learned that risk-taking doesn't have to be a lonely experience. There are people willing to come alongside you in wonderfully encouraging and challenging ways. Community is important. Like the High School Musical kids sing, "We're all in this together."

    Other "risk" lessons learned? "Never take a risk on a boy who calls you by your last name." But that was soooo 2008 :)

    End of novel. Beginning of adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st