Skip to main content

Saturday Sing Along: Song Association

Remember that game (or psychiatrist gimmick?) of "word association"? I say, "Peanut!" and you say, "Butter!" etc etc. Well, tonight we're going to play a game of "song association."

This morning, when I was contemplating a tattoo in lieu of my piercing (which is still in, so no tattoos, Mom), I can't believe it and don't know how, but this song popped into my mind:

Please do not watch this video. It's as terribly cheesy as the song itself, and as low-quality as the sound. But this is the only video I could find of this song. Please forgive me. For the crappiness, and for the fact that I can sing the chorus.


That brilliant masterpiece is by Plus One. I was having trouble finding it on Youtube because I thought it was by Jake.

This next song is by Jake. (here's to you, Nadine.)


That's right. You could be the one!

Speaking of cheesy music I listened to in the 90s. I owned this cassette, and not gonna lie, I LOVED IT!


The Brothers grew up and somehow became these crazy guys...

or even better:


I saw Family Force 5 perform the same day I saw Anberlin perform. It was Warp Tour '08 in Denver, Colorado. Since I've already blogged Anberlin this week, I'll continue.

For some reason, the second FF5 video makes me think of this one:


Once again, I've confused my 90's Christian bands. That was by The Newsboys. But this next one is Audio Adrenaline. To some sort of weird animated video:


Speaking of Petra, let's listen to this.


Oh, the glory days. And what a car!!!

I think the only appropriate place to wrap this post up is here, with Larry Norman's classic hit, "Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music?"

Comments

  1. JAKE! ha ha... Those are my boys! Well, sort of. Toby, Josh and ... oh shoot what is the other brother's name? Marty!
    Toby and I went to school together and he taught me my first song on guitar and I choreographed and danced (with others) a dance to Dancing Queen for his birthday. Its a strange friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure my adolescence just threw up on your blog. In a good way.

    Larry Norman = Christian rock LEGEND. I'll always love him.

    @Terra - The teenybopper me would be so envious. You have no idea. I bought orange pants because of Toby. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simone Weil: On "Forms of the Implicit Love of God"

Simone Weil time again! One of the essays in Waiting for God  is entitled "Forms of the Implicit Love of God." Her main argument is that before a soul has "direct contact" with God, there are three types of love that are implicitly  the love of God, though they seem to have a different explicit  object. That is, in loving X, you are really loving Y. (in this case, Y = God). As for the X of the equation, she lists: Love of neighbor  Love of the beauty of the world  Love of religious practices  and a special sidebar to Friendship “Each has the virtue of a sacrament,” she writes. Each of these loves is something to be respected, honoured, and understood both symbolically and concretely. On each page of this essay, I found myself underlining profound, challenging, and thought-provoking words. There's so much to consider that I've gone back several times, mulling it over and wondering how my life would look if I truly believed even half of these thin

I Like to Keep My Issues Drawn

It's Sunday night and I am multi-tasking. Paid some bills, catching up on free musical downloads from the past month, thinking about the mix-tape I need to make and planning my last assignment for writing class. Shortly, I will abandon the laptop to write my first draft by hand. But until then, I am thinking about music. This song played for me earlier this afternoon, as I attempted to nap. I woke up somewhere between 5 and 5:30 this morning, then lay in bed until 8 o'clock flipping sides and thinking about every part of my life that exists. It wasn't stressful, but it wasn't quite restful either...This past month, I have spent a lot of time rebuffing lies and refusing to believe that the inside of my heart and mind can never change. I feel like Florence + The Machine 's song "Shake it Out" captures many of these feelings & thoughts. (addendum: is the line "I like to keep my issues strong or drawn ?" Lyrics sites have it as "stro

Esse - Czeslaw Milosz

I'm on a bit of a poetry binge this week, and Monday afternoon found me lying on the luxurious shag rug of a friend's tiny apartment, re-reading some of my favourite poets (ee cummings, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz). It is an adventure to re-open a collection and wonder what will pop out, knowing something you've read before will strike you afresh, or you will be reminded of a particularly moving line that you had somehow forgotten. Like this piece from Milosz, which floors me. Every. damn.* time. The first time I read it, I lay in a park with a friend (this same friend who offered me her rug as my reading burrow) and demanded that I share it with her. I spoke it carefully, and then, into the post-reading silence, I slammed the book shut, and dropped it as loudly as I could onto the grass. "I'm never reading anything again," I declared, "What else is there to say?" Esse I looked at that face, dumbfounded. The lights of métro st